Blogging is something that has been going on now for several years and still some people are asking “Exactly what is a Blog?”. Blogging has changed a lot since Blogging started and more business than ever are starting to get in the Blogging game.
Yes, we hear it quite often still.. some people are even afraid to ask. If this sounds like you, then here is our article on “What is a Blog?”.
What are Blogs?
Blogs is an acronym for “web logs”. Blogs are (in theory) regularly updated, some even daily. They should consist of information that is related to a certain topic. In some cases, Blogs are used as daily diaries about people’s personal lives, political views and commentaries.
Blog are now being used by more and more companies to post about a product or service they offer and then use those articles to post and share on their social media sites.
Simply put, Blogs can be made into whatever the author want them to be.
When Was the Origin of Blogging?
Blogs can be tracked back to the 1990’s. Who started them is not known. Although it started during that time, it was in 1999 that people got into Blogging.
The first Blogs were mostly personal commentaries and web tours. It is ironic that these Blogs were initially thought of as diaries or journals online. But now, they have already turned into the latest web content that is being done by just about anyone.
What is the Importance of Blogging?
For individuals, Blogging is a trendy and classy thing to do. You get to write what you want, add some pictures into it and put links that are related and useful to the message you are writing about.
But for businesses, they found Blogs to be the answer to getting back the customers that they used to have by presenting them with new and fresh content not seen anywhere else.
It is a fact that content is very important for an online business. Not only because Blogs are an excellent way to get articles for specific keyphrases to the top of the Search Engines to make them easily found, but also they give visitors a reason to come back to get more information.
You can use your Blog articles for many different “online chores” such as email content to drive people back to your website (aka Blog), but you also get the same effect by using the content to supplement your posts on twitter and other social media sites.
Using Your Blogs RSS Feed
A RSS Feed from a Blog has several useful by products as well. In many cases when you set up a profile on many “Profile Sites” they will pull in your Blog posts using your RSS Feed. You may also find that others that have similar Blogs as your topic may even pull in your articles using your Blogs RSS Feed. (When using WordPress, your RSS Feed will be yoursite.com/feed)
What are Some Types of Blogs?
1. The Professional Blogs. These kinds of Blogs allow businesses to tell their customers or potential customers about the latest news or updates in their industry. This is also where they can catch up on the development being done in their business.
These Blogs are updated daily to be able to increase the chance of search engine to spider them. This also increases the page rank of a certain site because they are submitted to Blogging directories.
2. Personal Blogs. Just about anyone can write this kind of Blog. This is where people get to share their ideas, thoughts and everything else they want other people to read about. Some of these Blogs are not into page ranks and search engine optimization. They may be just for fun or informational purposes.
What is the most widely used type of Blogging?
3. Business Blogs. Today, the most widely used Blogs are the business Blogs. It seems that companies and businesses are just now beginning to realized the benefits they can get from Blogging and are making them a substantial part of their growth.
To use Blogs for business purposes, you first have to know how it can benefit you. It would be best if you have a schedule made and stick with it. Let your readers know what your Blogs is about and when to expect posts from them.
Blogs can give valuable supplemental content and attention to areas of businesses that you want to highlight. You get to direct and guide your readers on your Blogs.
Where to Begin When Creating a Blog?
When people ask me where to start, there is not much much reservation when I reply “Get a WordPress Blog!” They are extremely easy to install and use. (For a full history of WordPress see our article “The History of WordPress“)
Before you begin there are couple ways you can go.
- Get a Free WordPress Blog: Yes, you can go to WordPress.com and get a free blog to start out with so you can be sure it’s for you, but it most likely won’t be long till you upgrade to owning your own Blog.
- Host Your Own Blog: If you are going to start out hosting your own Blog, we highly suggest Bluehost.com for a variety of reasons.
- They offer a free domain name if you do not already have one and if you have purchased your domain name elsewhere it is free to transfer.
- They offer unlimited blogs on one account and as many emails as you need for no other charge.
- The c-panel where you install your blog is also simple to use with plenty of tutorials to help you get started.
- Use a Premium Theme: Though WordPress offers many free themes, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for an extremely flexible and easy to use blog, we suggest you take a look at Flexsqueeze. It is the one we use exclusively for all our customers.
Nowadays, creating a Blog is about as easy as typing an email. All you need is to put in the content and send it to the web server. Once done, it is directly printed on your page and displayed there for an amount of time.
What are Other Advantages of Blogging?
While you may originally create a Blog for your existing customers, you may find that you are able to attract more and new customers by writing about your expertise in a specific field.
There are many websites that act as “Blog Search Engines”. Be sure to submit your sites to these websites to boost your exposure. This will also help with your Pagerank and possibly increase the possibility of you getting a respectable ranking with Google.
To Your Success!